Monday, December 3, 2012

Be Grateful When You're Dating

On Saturday I had the opportunity to participate in running a Christmas carnival for young adults with special needs. I helped a girl with various activities at the carnival. During the course of the event, she kept pointing out different guys who were volunteering me and telling me she thought they were cute and wondering aloud (if not asking them) whether or not they were dating someone. She told me that she wanted a boyfriend more than anything, and when "Santa" arrived, that's what she asked for.

It made me feel guilty to think that I have the opportunity to date and I don't use it. I'm much more likely to find a boyfriend than a girl with special needs, but I take it for granted. I shouldn't.

My roommate got a super-awkward text from a boy. He told her she's beautiful and he wants to go on a date with her Saturday night. She's gone on a date with him before but said it was uncomfortable and isn't interested in pursuing a relationship with him. Tonight he cornered her at a musical performance and asked her to go see Christmas lights in the city. She reluctantly agreed.

I heard her talking to other girls in our neighborhood about boys they've gone on dates with and experiences they've had and I realized I haven't gone on any dates since September, and that was with a guy who told me he wouldn't have asked me normally because he likes to watch girls for two weeks to see if they're someone he can envision himself with. Creepo. But the realization I haven't been going on dates, what with how I'm young and beautiful and talented and all that jazz, was sobering to me. I started feeling bad.

I was walking by the laundry room reflecting on my single-ness when a boy came up the stairs and spat towards the ground when he rounded the corner. Only he didn't see me, so it hit my leg. Lovely. He glanced at me and said "Oh, sorry" and kept walking.

Then I felt like a complete loser.

Why can't we be grateful for the opportunities we have to date? Why do we complain bitterly when someone asks us on a date, especially when the activity is something many other girls would love to do, and the guy is someone many other girls would love to go with? Be grateful, gosh darn it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's thoroughly depressing. Boys suck. But I'm glad I'm not special needs, and that I can date boys and could date more if I was nicer to them. I was just thinking of Emily Curlin and how much she wants a boyfriend. I hope we all find amazing boys and get married and are happy. But I hope we can be happy and approachable in the meanwhile. We'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete